2.04.2009

Down With Howie Z


I had only watched one documentary about Howard Zinn before I started A People's History of the United States last week. I finished it last night and thought it was a great supplement to a lot American history that people already know. Some of the motives that Zinn assigns to the Founding Fathers might be a little too sinister but are probably at least a little true. It was a surprisingly easy read both because of Zinn's style and the fact that I wasn't concentrating on remembering names and dates but more on tracing the themes of oppression and struggle through more than 500 years of history. All that being said, it's not a very uplifting read, and I'm glad I'm done it. Onward to the snobby whiteness of Updike's Rabbit novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widget_logo
Site Meter