1.17.2009

Toothbrushes?


I finished Infinite Jest on Wednesday. It was obviously entertaining and readable enough for me to finish in just a couple of weeks, but I can't say it was as life changing for me as it seems to be for others. There are plenty of great scenes and some observations about human behavior (most notably during the AA meetings) that are dead-on and probably some more things I missed. I could never really separate the story from the author (maybe that's part of the point) and how much it seemed that he split the 300 voices in his head into individual characters and spread them across 1000+ pages. I'd say it was definitely helpful to have read DFW's non-fiction to understand his style and his interests before embarking on this very good brain dump. In summation, this book hurt my brain (in a good way) and my back (in a bad way).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widget_logo
Site Meter